"Police are everywhere, [they] set up a security perimeter and the neighbors are questioned", one local told Le Parisien newspaper.
The driver of the vehicle is now on the run after the incident in Levallois, north-west of the capital, according to a Paris police spokesman.
This comes just days after the country's interior minister said up to 271 extremists have returned to France from war zones in Iraq and Syria, This included 217 adults and 54 minors, with some of them now in detention, Gerard Collomb told Le Journal du Dimanche. Of the six hit by the vehicle, two were reported to be in serious condition.
The attack took place as the new centrist government was holding its last cabinet meeting before the summer holidays.
"This morning, as a group of our soldiers were leaving their barracks to go out on patrol, a BMW vehicle parked in the alley rammed into them", Balkany told news channel BFMTV, adding that the auto had "accelerated very fast".
According to BFMTV, the vehicle, identified as BMW, was driven by a man.
Six soldiers were injured when they were struck by a auto early Wednesday, an incident officials are regarding as an act of terrorism. Doctors say that their condition is serious, French Defense Minister Florence Parly said.
The anti-terrorism unit of the Paris prosecutors' office has launched a probe into the car-ramming, AFP reported, citing a statement from Paris prosecutors.
He was detained on a motorway north of the city, but officials said it was too early to say whether he was the man they were looking for. "We saw injured [soldiers] being transported to the ambulance", she added.
"I heard a loud noise, the sound of scraping metal". The Hebdo attacks kicked off a series of terrorist incidents plaguing France.
It is the second attack on police in the street in three months and comes amid a nationwide state of emergency following a string of terror attacks in the country.
- Polling for 3 Rajya Sabha seats in Gujarat today
- Karunaratne, Mathews keep the fight on for Lanka (Lunch Report)
- Tillerson Holds Talks on Security, Economic Issues at ASEAN Summit
- Jay Cutler doesn't change Dolphins' 2017 season outlook
- Tonight's Full Moon Starts the Countdown to the Total Solar Eclipse
- Rory McIlroy: I'm happy to be favourite for the USPGA Championship
- Marriage vote to occur before year's end
- Next season will be toughest of my career, says Chelsea boss Conte
- IPhone 8 leak validates home button-less full-screen display front panel
- Samsung Galaxy Note 9 to Feature In-Screen Fingerprint Sensor: KGI